Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Job Responsibilities of the House Couple
The role of a house couple is to be the right hand of the employer’s on all domestic matters from cleaning of the residence, light meals preparation, immediate grounds (garden), oversight of contractors and travel preparations. The areas of responsibility can be expanded to additional vacation properties to set up and ensure continuity of service as desired.
The successful candidates would possess discretion, sensitivity and empathy towards all private matters, knowing when to be a presence, ultimately following the principals style.
- Maintain the day to day functions and organization of the residence.
- Daily cleaning and maintaining the general appearance of the residence.
- Care of furnishings, finishes and delicate surfaces, including china, silver and crystal.
- Care for all principals and guests clothing.
- Washing, ironing, steaming and linen care, including washing delicate fabrics.
- Flower arrangements and plants management.
- Create, organize and manage household inventories.
- Run errands and shopping for household goods, food, laundry and amenities at the request of the principals.
- Receive/send packages and manage household mail.
- Pet care.
- Handling general requests as needed.
Entertaining, Social and Culinary:
- Answer the doorbell, greet guests and visitors as well as answering the phone.
- Cook meals, snacks and weekly food prep, as required.
- Food, pantry and fridge management.
- Ensure that fresh organic produce is always available.
- Obtain a thorough knowledge of local vendors for the best possible produce in the most time efficient manner.
- Work with local vendors to create systems for sprouting, dehydrating and finding the most current methods of serving pure and holistic produce.
- Work with the family farm for fresh produce.
- Ensure all dry goods are suitable for consumption, create a rotational program for effective management of stores.
- Manage alcohol storage.
- Work closely with the Estate Manager’s office on the overall maintenance and care of the local buildings including assisting with project management.
- Identify maintenance and repair projects.
- Perform small repairs (general handyman services).
- Supervise trades, vendors, and contractors
- Trash and Recycling management.
- General oversight of the immediate grounds (veg garden, floral, herbaceous) to ensure maintenance according to the principals wishes.
- Travel, logistics and additional properties:
- Work with the private office, personal secretaries, flight attendants, pilots and chauffeur as a key conduit to ensure awareness of private and social appointments.
- Manage and communicate with vacation residences staff to maintain services and efficiency, including when onsite at the vacation residences with or without the principal’s family.
- Organize and coordinate private and social events.
- Act as a personal assistant to the principals and their family as well as, on occasion, their extended family.
- Possible travel to vacation properties as an advance party in order to maintain and prepare for principals or guests arrival.
- Take the role of a butler at the vacation properties when required.
- Maintain household and vacation property manuals.
- Minimum of three (3) years similar work experience.
- Good English communication skills (verbal and written).
- Experience in hands-on household work and knowledge of all areas of property cleaning and organizing.
- Flexibility to work outside of strict job description parameters.
- Flexibility in the working hours, according to the employer’s needs.
- Thinking creatively about how to provide highest quality of service.
- Flexibility to handle last minute changes.
- Must have a sense of initiative.
- Can work under minimal direction.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Have good organizational skills and attention to details.
- Ability to anticipate the needs of the employer.
- Ability to multitasking and work under pressure.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Understands that the utmost in confidentiality and discretion is required.
- Be physically fit and able to reach and lift medium weight objects (e.g. 30lbs to 50lbs).
- Must have a valid driver’s licence and a good driving record.
- Must have a current legal working status in Canada.
- Must like dogs.
- Smoke-free environment.
$100,000 to 120,000 per year.
Job Additional Information
- 2 weeks paid vacation.
- Accommodation provided (if required).
- Work days: 5 days a week (flexibility required).
- House-car available for work duties.
- Group benefit plan provided.
Job Starting Date
As soon as possible.
Job Contact Information
Charles Berry, Branch Manager
Phone: 416.907.9618 ext. 224 | Toll-free: 1.866.201.8336
* The pin shown on the map represent an approximate location.