Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Job Responsibilities of the Butler
Full-time, live-in position with variable schedule. The successful candidate must be willing to work on weekends, statutory holidays and for events hosted at the property. Flexibility is key.
This is a dual role where the Butler provides “personal services” specifically to the principal, his family and his guests and the Butler is also part of a team that provides “personal services” of a more general nature to assist and support any other team member to ensure meals are prepped and the house/outbuildings are clean, tidy, organized and ready for use at any time by the principal and his family.
The butler will be able to adapt to change and provide effective solutions to practical issues, while communicating closely with other team members. Strong ability to juggle multiple high priority tasks on a daily basis. The Butler is responsible for providing personal services to the principal and ensuring the residence is secure at all times.
- Daily food and beverage services, table settings, clean-up and washing dishes.
- Daily meal preparation and service when scheduled when Chef is not present.
- Occasional weekly shopping, and errands.
- Ensure plants and flowers within the Estate are watered and kept in good health (outside as needed on weekends and holidays and inside on a rotating schedule).
- Greeting of guests and visitors.
- Chauffeur duties as required.
Service/House Maintenance Duties:
- Assisting in management of household inventories, including wine cellar, closets and storage areas.
- Maintain, clean, organize and supply assigned areas of the residence.
- Stock and maintain all fireplaces.
- Liaising with Chef to prepare pantry lists as needed.
- Maintain the service needs and cleanliness of all vehicles.
- Ensure the property is secure at all times.
- Assist with maintenance and security as required.
- Assist Chef with cooking or food preparation when required.
- Care of fine furnishings and finishes with correct use products and methods.
- Dusting, tidying, vacuuming, and other daily tasks.
- Work with Housekeepers to ensure Estate is kept up to the principal’s standards.
- Seasonal deep clean and special projects to be completed.
- Full participation with housekeeping, including laundry of beddings, linens and or/ other articles in order to maintain residence ready for guest arrivals.
- Checking and upkeep of outbuildings so areas are ready at all times.
House Security Duties:
- Live on site 4-5 nights a week to maintain security and complete house checks
- Ensure entries are closed and secure at all times.
- Assist with security responsibilities of the property and conduct daily/nightly walk throughs.
- General maintenance of household items after hours.
- Ability to respond to security alarms and liaise with security companies if necessary.
- Provide high quality guest services in an unobtrusive, professional, courteous and accommodating manner to all principals, staff, guests and outside service personnel.
- Liaise with Estate Manager and other team members on a daily basis.
- Provide pet care, which includes feeding, medications if needed, bathing and walking.
Party Planning Duties:
- Assisting with regular entertaining for private and social events.
- Liaise with planning committees for parties or events.
Other duties as assigned.
To meet the challenges of this role, the ideal candidate must be energetic while maintaining proper etiquette and a high energy. This individual must be able to work well in a team environment and have excellent communication skills. Other requirements include:
- Be physically fit and able to reach and lift medium weight objects (e.g. 30lbs to 50lbs).
- Contain a valid driver’s licence and provide own transportation.
- Excellent English communication skills, written and verbal.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in the hospitality and/or private service industry.
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Possess strict confidentiality.
- Experience in a private residence is an asset.
- Possess a strong knowledge of multiple levels of etiquette.
- Applicants must be service oriented and self–starters.
- Ability to stand for long hours, climb stairs, bend, and perform repetitive motions.
- Possess a strong work ethic.
- Must be adaptable, flexible, and function effectively in a team environment; and
- Positive can-do attitude is essential.
Competitive, according to experience.
Job Additional Information
- Live-in during working days.
- Group insurance plan/benefit provided.
Job Starting Date
As soon as possible.
Job Contact Information
Nicolas Marion, Private Staffing Specialist
Phone: 416.907.9618 ext. 223 | Toll-free: 1.866.201.8338
* The pin shown on the map represent an approximate location.
* This job description may change without notice.